Sunday, October 2, 2022

Tomatoes

So my father in law did an experiment- he squashed a shop bought posh cherry tomato and saved and dried the seeds on a bit of kitchen roll. 

He then planted the seeds and then potted on the seedlings. He nurtured them and then distributed the baby plants. I had 7 plants. He kept 10 and gave another 10 away. I gave 4 plants away and kept 3. I really really looked after 1 of them - it’s own tub, in the sunshine, staked up and pruned properly. The others I’m afraid I gave them sunburn and nearly killed them off through lack of water. I shoved them among the plants in the border and left them to it. They all thrived and went about their business of producing 26780000000 tomatoes! 



About to go in the oven


Bluebell photobombing Grandad’s fine tomato plants


Erm believe it or not, this is the plant that O was making an effort with! All that scrap metal in the background has now been weighed in and the last of the rhubarb harvested today. 

Father in laws amazing tomato plants! 


Erm …spot mine that I shoved in the border!!! 
Me in the shadow! 




Oooooo
The very first ripe tomato! 




They are so delicious! 



I’ve just harvested the red ones that were on the plants and am leaving the rest another week but then they will probably end up on the compost! 

Todays harvest was halved, sprayed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sprinkled liberally with onion and garlic granules, salt and pepper and herbs de Provence and then shoved in the oven because it’s on low and left for about 40 mins. 

They are done and are absolutely delicious. They were destined to be added to a pasta sauce but I think I’ll pop them in a tub and have them sprinkled on my meals this week!! 

I went to class last Monday and saw half a pound shaved off my total! A smidge. But that’s ok. Me and my friend are starting a savings club for from October 1st so every pound off is a pound coin in a jar. If it’s another smidge tomorrow night, then that’s 50p in the jar! It’s taster, so I am going all out and am making a really delicious tikka masala from one of the Pinch of N books - their recipe is for a butternut squash and butterbean curry but I’m making it with boneless and skinless chicken thighs instead. It really is a lovely flavoured tasty dish. I’m going to double up on the make so I’ve some sauce for my freezer and will save a couple of the  chicken curry portions for myself too. It’s a really good group for taster and it’s a generous group too - need to make sure I try everything within reason!!!! One man always makes his famous homity pie and I’m really looking forward to eating that tomorrow hahaha! 

Right best get chopping me onions! 

Trying to be less fat with the help of tomato power! 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely adore garden tomatoes. There's nothing quite as delicious and it's a minor tragedy when I have to buy some in the shops again.
    Have a lovely time at taster today - I always enjoy them too and come away with great ideas.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Trying to be less fat, but with Covid

 For me - I failed to have the will power to do this!  Also I have two fonts on the go. This is Quicksand.  Also I have two fonts on the go....